Well, I finally know what I want to be when I grow up. Yes, while it has taken me a little longer than most to work it out, I feel I now have clarity.
I want to be Janelle McCulloch.
And I figure I’m half way there – I’ve got first name covered.
Obviously this is not the most realistic career goal I’ve ever had….
Janelle McCulloch is a best-selling author who also happens to be a journalist, editor and photographer. Australian born, Janelle divides her time between Paris, London, New York and Sydney and has produced numerous books on Paris – all of which I just adore.
And her latest offering is no different – I adore Paris in Style too.
It could have been easily argued that the last thing I needed in my life was yet another guide book for Paris. But there was no way I was going without this particular guide book. Beautifully styled, it is packed with gorgeous shots of Paris and Janelle’s descriptions give readers an insight into Paris’ super stylish heart.
Title: ’Paris in Style – A Guide To The City’s Fashion, Design and Style Destinations’.
Author: Janelle McCulloch
Published: 2015, Paperback, 258 pages.
What I Liked:
- The styling. This book is visually stunning. Harmonious colours. Appealing fonts. Evocative images. It just looks so good. No matter where in the book you flick to, you’re guaranteed to find something that ignites a creative spark in you.
- The concept. Like most guide books, Paris in Style offers information on getting around, accommodation and dining. Unlike most guide books however, it also offers information on flea markets and flowers, as well as pointing you in the right direction for haberdashery, shoe and book stores. And the book is worth buying for the insights into ‘luxury brand shopping’ alone.
- The format. You might be imagining that this book is rather large – perhaps the size of your average ‘coffee table’ tome. But it’s not – it is the size of your standard guide book. It’s small enough to pop into your luggage and won’t take up too much of your luggage allowance.
- The hints and tips. There are definitely some places I’ll be checking out on our next visit to Paris.
What I Wasn’t So Sure About:
- Absolutely nothing. Now, I know what you are thinking – ‘Surely there was something in Paris in Style you weren’t keen on Janelle’. But honestly there wasn’t. It’s been a long time since I bought a book that tapped into my passion and appealed to my senses as much as this one does.
If you are a fan of all things Parisian – or just want to get your hands on one beautiful guidebook – I strongly recommend you pick up a copy of Paris in Style.
Are you a fan of Janelle McCulloch’s work? If so, I’d love for you to share your thoughts in the comments below.
Until next time – au revoir.