I’ve been travelling for work a lot recently. Which means I’ve had a stack of time to think – the only upside of delayed flights is that they provide valuable thinking time!
Top on my list of ‘thinking topics’ has been how the French dedication to style forms the foundation of all that that they do. I couldn’t come up with of a part of daily French life that is not underpinned by style. From food to fashion, from decor to shopping everything is touched with stylish flair.
And of course when it comes to personal style, from my perspective, French women are unrivalled. I’ve studied their style for years and I’ve decided that I’ve finally worked out the secret to fabulous French style.
As a rule, French women don’t do fussy or overdone. No frilly skirts, no heavy makeup. And while you know they’ve made an effort, you never get the impression that they are trying too hard.
Everything seems simple and easy.
There are so many ways that simplicity equals French style but here are a few examples that illustrate my thinking.
Simplicity. The key to fabulous French style.
- Unfussy outfits in neutral colours. I’ve talked before about the fact that French women’s style is almost uniform-like in nature. Slim jeans, understated top, well cut blazer, flat shoes and a scarf and that’s it. Simple, comfortable and classy.
- Easy care hairstyles. Shiny, sexy, unfussy hair is a French woman’s trademark. They seem to have a knack for getting a great cut and avoiding too much product.
- Low key eye make up coupled with a perfect red lip. Nothing more to add. And it always looks polished.
- Fabulous underwear that not only make a woman feel special but also make her outer garments sit better.
- A quality handbag – sometimes vintage – that goes with everything. Saves mucking around with multiple bags and it always looks good.
- Short, buffed fingernails. Another way French women look well groomed with very little effort or cost.
- Fine, understated jewellery. The kind that can be worn everyday and that looks good with everything. Perhaps some would say boring but I word ease springs to my mind. And who wouldn’t like more ease in their life?
- Signature fragrances. So many French women commit to just a single fragrance, one that becomes their own. A demonstration of stylish simplicity.
I’ll be exploring these ideas of French style and simplicity in coming weeks. But in the meantime, I’d love to know your tips for simplifying style. Please take a moment to share them in the comments section below.
And until next time – au revoir.